Before we get started on Monday, the course team thought you might appreciate a very brief overview of what to expect from the MOOC, and the topic outlines for each week:
Week 1: A hidden landscape (starts 03 February)
- Getting started in the course
- The history of ocean exploration
- Modern mapping of the oceans
Week 2: Mobilis in mobili (starts 10 February)
- How much water is there?
- Our spinning planet
Week 3: A living soup (starts 17 February)
- What’s out there?
- Finding connections
- Life in the depths
Week 4: Why is the sea salty? (starts 24 February)
- The composition of the ocean
- The importance of trace elements in the ocean
Week 5: How do we explore the oceans? (starts 03 March)
- The technology involved in ocean exploration
- The teams involved in ocean exploration
Week 6: The future of the oceans (starts 10 March)
- The human impact
- Ownership and responsibility
- Just the beginning
What are you looking forward to learning about the most? Let us know on Twitter #UoSFLOceans!